Peter Joseph Smith (1870-1949) was a first cousin to Vitus Joseph Smith (1876-1934). Why am I sharing this with you? It started with updating my computer database with the obituary for Aunt Mert's husband, Jim (aka Gerald). Realizing that I had a data entry problem, I got some help at the John Timon Reily Society, and finally got the families (Staubs and Smiths) connected correctly!
Jim's first wife, Florine Elizabeth Livelsberger, was a descendant to Adam Staab/Staub. Jim's wife, Aunt Mert, is also a descendant to Adam Staab/Staub. I unknowingly had duplicate records in my database for both Jim and Aunt Mert. To make life crazier, I learned that Jim's father had married twice. Long story short, I finally got it straight. While doing so, I found the picture above. It is amazing what one can find!
Here is how all of this relates back to Charles Schmidt and Anna Spitler. If you get a headache reading this, you may understand why it took me this long to make the connections. I walked away from the Smith/Staub saga several time.
- Charles and Anna Schmidt/Smith had a son, Peter/Petrus Schmidt. He married Magdalena Adams.
- Peter/Petrus and Magdalena had 11 children, two of whom are of importance to this post:
- Son Peter George Smith married Helen J. (Kuhn).
- Peter Joseph Smith, son to Peter George Smith and Helen J. (Kuhn), married Martha Apononia (Shorb).
- Peter Joseph had a son, Maurice Joseph Smith, Sr. He was Jim's father.
- Son Francis James Smith, and brother to Peter George, married Agnes (Fleshman).
- Son Vitus Smith was a 1st cousin to Peter Joseph and married Margaret Ann Murren.
- Vitus's son, Joseph Edward, was Aunt Mert's father.