Thursday, September 8, 2011

Is this really me?


I know that I spend a lot of time on my computer, linking to new Facebook friends, entering lots of information given to me by Jean Staub, and Googling, but I can assure you that I know when to call it quits! 

However, I probably look just as crazed when I find interesting links between the Staub, Smith, and Groft families.  I had no idea that this hobby was so addicting.

I also get excited when I can trace a family back to Germany and when they arrived in America.  Right now I have the Staub family traced to Ludwig Staub, born circa 1646 (John Lawrence Staub's family line).  Adam was the man who at age 21 sailed across the ocean to start a new life and bought land in what is now Brushtown.  I traced Mammaw's family (Myrtle Groft and John's wife) back to the mid-1700s when Fredrich Krafft (no, not the food giant), arrived to the Port of Philadelphia with his pregnant wife.  And Charles Smith (Glady's family) who arrived about the same time and through the Port of Philadelphia.   

All of this has been backed up with facts and family research, so I feel certain that I am on the right track.  Once I figure out how to reduce the size of the ancestry chart (it is over 8 sheets of 8.5"x11" pages) to add to my blog, I will share it with you. 

I have learned so much in a little bit of time - about the early Catholic church in Pennsylvania, the Pennsylvania Germans, the German Palatine movement, and the bridging of these families.  I have come to respect their hardships and successes.  To imagine leaving one's family to sail to another country, not knowing what to expect, is inconceivable.  Would I have let my kids do this?  Probably not. 

Time to shut down the computer and give it a rest.  Until next week ...

P. S.  You may share this blog link with other family members who may also have Facebook.  The idea is to grow the members and continue to learn and increase sharing.  You may send me a personal email to share, add, or to ask me a question.

No comments: